Monday, July 03, 2006

Glorietta Modus Operandi

Glorietta   @  Proud To Be Pinoy – Everything Pinoy in this blog.Let's be aware that the "squashing technique" is a current practice, so we'll know what to do. How about a karate chop?

Dear All:
I would like to share with all of you my horrible and scary experience last Friday night at Glorietta. Maybe, by being aware of this incident, you will be more vigilant as you do your leisure shopping.

It was one rare moment on a weekday that we, my daughters and I would have the chance to have a leisure evening together. And a rare occasion that I would go around Glorietta as I have been used to the South shopping malls. Anyway, we took the escalator leading to the Rustans store (the Bon Apetit entrance). The escalator that would lead you to the bus stop at Ayala Avenue. I was about five steps away from my two daughters and in front of me were two people (one gay and one girl) in white. They were about 5 to 6 steps ahead of me. I noticed that these two people were walking backwards and to my mind, how could adults play in the escalator.

I only see children doing this. They continued stepping backwards until they were about 2 steps away from me. I noticed that the gay removed her pony tail band from her hair. Then as I reached the top, the gay bent forward trying to pick up something from the floor. I was standing there trying to hold my grip for fear of falling down. All I could say was Ano ba, Ano ba and I felt I was being squashed. I did not know that my daughters were overtaken by another two people and they thought that it was rude of them to do this. The next thing they saw was that I was being squashed in front and at the back. They thought that the one in front of them got their shoe stuck. I finally got out and was cursing the two people in front of me for being so ignorant in the use of the escalators. My daughter noticed that my bag was opened and she asked me to check it out. My cell phones were there. But my wallet was gone. She immediately ran outside to chase the two but they were gone. The other two according to my daughter went the side way.

I told the security guard stationed by the door leading to Ayala. All he asked was that "Inipit ba kayo"? I said yes. And then he said that it is a modus operandi and if I were to interpret what he said, this is not the first time this happened. I was shocked for a while. I did not feel like looking around anymore and just confined myself inside Rustans.

The good thing about this was that next day, a construction worker called my house to advise that he saw my wallet in one of the planter boxes near the bus stop. He saw a receipt with my name and phone number and called hoping he can find the owner of the wallet.

This can happen anywhere where they have these escalators. For those who have connection with the Security of Ayala, please tell them to pose some guards at the escalator areas.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Scary thing to happen to you but I would recommend that you change the title since it seems that its not just in Glorietta that this is happening.

Big bleh to Glorietta though for not doing more to protect their customers.

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry to hear about your experience. normally, i'm a mild-mannered maller, but one thing i hate is having my personal space invaded. if i find somebody getting too close to me, I LOUDLY warn that person off. If they persist, I don't hesitate poking them with my umbrella, key or even with ballpen! (at least, my dear departed mom was kinder; SHE would use an open safety pin to poke would-be bag slashers while commuting).